Sorry, this job is no longer being advertised.
The job you are trying to view is closed and the advertiser is no longer accepting
applications through Jobs.com.au. Ads typically run for between 7 and 30 days,
but can be removed earlier at the advertiser's discretion.
Find a current job listing using our Advanced Search to the right.
Marrickville Legal Centre solicitors provide access to justice through the provision of legal services, law reform and community legal education, particularly for people who are disadvantaged by their social and economic circumstances. This position is specifically for the provision of legal services and legal education to young people primarily under 18, as well as youth workers and parents acting on their behalf. This position is also responsible for Marrickville Legal Centre’s law reform and community development activities in relation to young people, which includes convening and actively participating in the Youth Justice Coalition.
1. Demonstrated commitment to the philosophy of community legal centres, the promotion of human rights, social justice and meeting the legal needs of socially and economically disadvantaged people and groups
2. Qualified to practice as a solicitor in NSW and hold a current practising certificate
3. Experience in one or more of the following areas of law: victims of crime, criminal, domestic violence, family, employment, credit and debt, tenancy, motor traffic, motor vehicle accidents, fines, consumer, police complaints and young people’s issues
4. Demonstrated ability to undertake casework, community legal education and policy and law reform activities
5. Demonstrated ability to take initiative, accept responsibility, and work as part of a multi disciplinary team, including the supervision of a broad range of volunteers
6. Demonstrated ability to communicate and negotiate effectively with clients, other parties, government and community organisations
7. Ability to identify and understand cross cultural and legal issues facing socially and economically disadvantaged people
8. Experience in litigation of public interest cases and/or organising campaigns
9. Computer literacy
Enquiries to Michael Walton, Principal Solicitor, (??) ???? ???? . Job Description available on our website www.mlc.org.au. Closes 3 January 2013.