Social justice lawyer – part-time opportunity
The intellectual Disability Rights Service (IDRS) is a community legal centre which works to promote the rights of people with intellectual disability. Solicitors at IDRS provide legal advice and referral, casework, policy and law reform work and legal education. For further information on IDRS visit www.idrs.org.au.
IDRS is looking for a part-time solicitor to work 2-3 days a week (maternity leave position) on the Parent’s Project. This project aims to improve justice for parents with intellectual disability involved in the NSW Care and Protection system. The solicitor position will involve providing legal advice and limited casework.
Law and policy reform as well as education and training are components of this position.
The project team will also include a support/development worker and will work closely with existing staff of IDRS.
The position offers diverse and challenging work for a solicitor who is committed to social and legal justice.
Salary range pro rata based on $60,300 - $66,500pa full time (depending on experience) + super + leave loading. Salary packaging is available and adds to the remuneration value. Annual salary increases apply.
Essential experience and skills
1. Admitted to practice in New South Wales and have or be eligible for a practising certificate
2. Demonstrated experience in providing legal advice and conducting casework in care and protection matters
3. Understanding of issues affecting parents with intellectual disability and commitment to advancing their legal rights and interests
4. Ability to advocate for law and policy reform
5. Excellent communication skills including ability to respond to the communication needs of people with an intellectual disability and to simplify legal jargon
6. Ability to work effectively in a team with other professional staff
7. Ability to conduct community legal education and training.
How to apply
IDRS does not use application forms. You should apply in writing, via email or mail, for the position, including a statement which briefly addresses the selection criteria.
You should also include a resumé which sets out your personal details (name, address and contact details), education, previous positions and experience, and two referees (names, addresses and contact details).
In summary applications must:
• include a statement addressing the selection criteria
• include a resume as described above
• be received by 9.30am on Monday 10 December 2012.
• be sent by email orin post.If email, please include your name and the position you are applying for (Solicitor, Parent’s Project) in the subject line. By post, please send applications to: Solicitor, Parent’s Project Intellectual Disability Rights Service Inc Suite 2c, ??? Redfern NSW 2016
If you would like to discuss the position please call ????? ????? (Solicitor, The Parent’s Project) or Janene Cootes (Executive Officer) on (??) ???? ????.
For further information and the full job description package visit www.idrs.org.au.